Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Rationale Summer Work


Over the summer I was asked to come up with an idea for something that I would design and create myself I had to think of the layout also the genre/sub-genre and target audience of one of these briefs. I decided to go for number 7 on the brief which is to create a short film that should last no longer than 5 minutes and to then design a poster for that short film.

The Idea "Heist"


Plot

My idea is to make a short film about a series of robberies that are taking place right around the same time but instead of actually showing them commit the crimes I will show them before and after the crimes depending on how that certain robbery escalated and whether or not that certain character survived or not. The entire point of the robberies and my short film is to show how desperate people must be to commit these crimes and what length they will go to get what they want to provide for their family or just because of greed.

Genre

The Genre will be a thriller for my idea as it has all the elements of a thriller and suspense which will keep the audience paying attention. The film the Town played a big inspiration for this as parts of that film keeps you really in touch with what’s going on and keeps you guessing as to what is going to happen next, the movie Inception also played a key role as that is a heist movie but has different codes and conventions.


 


 Framing


When framing my short film I will mostly be using close ups and mid shots maybe one or two long shots but not more than one or two because I want the audience to feel like they are a part of the film like they are actually there with the characters. I’d like the close up shots to be no longer than maybe 2 or 3 seconds as I want to show more than one robbery and it saves time but also when robbing banks it’s like a flash it’s that quick so I get the best of both worlds. The mid shots will be from a customer’s point of view looking at the bank robbers but will be later faded when it comes to editing to show these characters being scared. To cut between scenes and also partly when showing mid shots etc the screen will distort and fade and then pop back into focus, this shows tension as you ant get a sense of reality as  you can’t see it properly and when these crimes are happening I can imagine the robbers to feel this way. The Wilhelm Scream by James Blake is a perfect way to show what I mean and how I want my film to be in places as in the video it fades distorts and when it comes back into focus the shot type has changed without you even noticing.

 Theme


My film will be mostly dark and gritty as I want this to have a sense of realism and I can’t imagine many robberies being bright and colourful. This will split my audience I think as my film is going to be an 18 and films such as The Dark Knight are rated 12A but some parts in that film are quite colourful especially when they are outside somewhere, whereas my film will mostly take place in secluded areas and quick cuts between the bright scenes which won’t be as appealing to a younger audience.





Target Audience






The target audience for my film will be as I've said in the paragraph above an 18 because of the entire theme of my film and how dark it is literally it has a sense of realism that I think a mature audience will appreciate more than someone who is a little younger. The film Trainspotting has codes and conventions of a gritty film that has a sense of realism which is something I want to incorporate.

 Audio

My film will have a non diagetic music element running throughout the entire short film, it will have up beat parts when certain scenes are taking place, in the background of this track though you will be able to hear gunfire shouting and screams to give you that secluded sort of feel to it, this mixed in with the screen constantly distorting and going to the next scene will make it where I can immediately switch between scenes and different robberies.


No comments:

Post a Comment